Lil Wayne puts rap on 'back burner' for skateboarding

LOS ANGELES - Lil Wayne has new music coming out soon. His mixtape, Dedication 4, arrives on Aug. 15.

But according to an interview he gave Wednesday to DJ Drama on Atlanta's Hot107.9, he's getting burned out on music.

"Being me, I always feel like I ain't done nothing yet, so I'm always looking for the next thing to do. It does get pretty boring when it comes to just the rapping and all that type of stuff," he said. "I've been doing i! t since I was 8 and I'm about to be 30 in September."

So, he said, he's putting "rap on the backburner" to "be fully committed" to skateboarding. "I picked up the skateboard and I thought it'd be a hobby and what happened is it's a lifestyle," he said. "In order to be fully committed, you have to live that lifestyle. With these young kids now, you have to be about that life. It's kind of putting rap on the back burner. Rap is taking a backseat to skating."

"I think I deserve that," he continued. "I think fans deserve a little to no Wayne. I've been everywhere. I've been out on everybody's song. My artists have been doing awesome. I believe my fans deserve some peace from me. I'll be on my skateboard in the meantime."

Also on Wednesday, Mountain Dew and Lil Wayne announced a partnership in working with the sports-geared program Stoked. They have broken ground on a new DEWeezy skate park in New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward Village, a neighborhood center for one of the districts hit hardest by Hurricane Katrina

By Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY

(Copyright 2012 USA TODAY)


Comments