Lil Wayne Looks Beyond 'Greatest' Title, Wants "Best Skater Alive" Accolade [Video]

Grammy-winning rapper Lil Wayne is no longer satisfied with his self-proclaimed "Best Rapper Alive" title and is seeking dominance as a skateboarder.

Based on new footage showing Weezy taking on various skating ramps, the platinum-selling rapper makes a promise to be the best by 2013.

"I promise you, this day, next year, I will be not ten times better, not a hundred times better, not a million times better, but the best," Weezy promised in a video dated March 12th. He's still got a long way to go, but Lil Wayne is taking this skateboarding thing very seriously, and you can see the improvement in this latest video. When Tunechi sets his mind to something, he takes it as far as possible, and this new skating obsession is no different. He even went so far as to build a ramp at his Miami home, and every week we see new footage of him hitting up various skate parks around the country. (Complex)

He is currently geared up to grace the upcoming cover of skateboarding-based magazine, CCS.

Wayne shot his cover story for CCS in Canoga Park, California, on Saturday, and his videographer DJ Scoob Doo captured intimate moments on the set as he bonded with skateboard stars Paul Rodriguez, Shane O'Neill, Torey Pudwill, Theotis Beasley and Chance Eldridge. In the rare footage, Wayne gives his fans a closer look at the new environment that he's become very comfortable in. "I just want to introduce my world to their world," Wayne says as he individually acquaints us with each of the skateboarders mentioned above. "I'm trying to bring you into their world so you can see why I wanna do this and I why I love this so much." (MTV)

In February, Wayne opened up on sporting an arm sling as a result of a skateboarding accident.

Lil Wayne has always put his music first, but Weezy's passion for his skateboard may come in a close second. Tunechi was pretty bummed when he learned he had to stay off the ramps for a week after injuring his shoulder in a skateboarding accident at his Miami home. "Unfortunately I was skating and I tried to do an ollie down one of my banks and I tailed out at the end of it," Weezy said in a clip from DJ Scoob Doo's upcoming "The Nino Brown Story" DVD that was given exclusively to MTV News. "I ain't worried about the pain, it hurts like hell but the worst thing is that I couldn't really skate," he said. "I always get injured but I never get an injury where I can't get back on the board. Remember we had the nine stitches? That didn't mean we couldn't skate the next day, so we skated the next day." (MTV)

Last year, Weezy opened up and discussed a separate skateboarding mishap he had the misfortune of experiencing.

"It wasn't that bad. It wasn't. It was real quick. Happened, and I was stitched up and went about my way. I told everybody. Everybody was like, "Oh, my God. You got nine stitches. You busted your head?" I was like, honestly, I fell so much harder in other places. Like, I wish you were there to see me really bust it. I busted my ass before, like, literally, this is nothing. These stitches are like--this is the first time I have seen blood shed, but I've fallen much harder than that." (GQ)

Check out Lil Wayne's skateboarding video below:


Comments