"[Lil] Wayne Said, "You Know Who'd Be Perfect On This Record? Drake"

Me and Lil Wayne were in the studio working on music. We work non-stop on whatever and we just found this beat produced by Cool & Dre and Wayne really, really, really liked the track and I said, "Okay, let me see what I can do." I just started coming up with stuff and then he got in and started coming up with stuff and then I went back in and started doing more stuff.

Then [Lil] Wayne said, "You know who would be perfect on this record? Drake. And if this is going to be your first single, it would be just the ideal situation for me and Drake to introduce you to the world." So Drake got on it and it was a record that everybody felt was like the first voice to come out from Shanell.

We're a family. One thing that I think Young Money does is [stick together]. It's not like a label where people are signed and you don't know who else is signed to your label. We really work together and support each other. "So Good" was just the outcome of how we work over there.

We used to all be in the studio at the same time and now people are moving around. Drake said, "I'ma do it, I'ma do it, I just have to get off the road. I've gotta finish up this tour, I've gotta finish up my album." As soon as Drake finished up his album, he went ahead and completed the song and that's when we ran with it. It's been in the works for a few months before it was actually released but knew this was the song we were going to go with first.

With the music video, I'm a little film director. That's something I want to end up doing in the future. I've come up with a lot of great concepts. I'm the artistic director of Wayne's tours so they trust me when it comes to putting things together. I pretty much sat down and came up with this idea and then got together with [director] Little X to finish it up. He's a professional in that arena. So he came through and put the touches on it that it needed.

A lot of those eye-catching things you'r! e seeing in the music video came on-set, which is like the b-boy freeze move that I did, which helped transition it from "So Good" to [the teaser] "6 AM." Seeing me come out of the trunk, I saw that from the beginning. I thought, "When Wayne's verse is ending, how can I present myself different?" I'm not really a girly girl. I wanted to come out and be presented different and we're in the parking lot, the movie theater feel. Back in the day we used to sneak people in through the trunk and I thought that'd be a good idea where I come out and start singing from the trunk.

Shanell aka SNL is a pop artist and songwriter. She is signed to Young Money and has worked alongside producers like Bangladesh, David Guetta, Salaam Remi, Cool & Dre, Hit Boy and Justus League. She has also collaborated alongside Young Money family including Lil Wayne and Drake. Shanell is currently putting together her long-awaited solo debut and is preparing the release of an upcoming EP called Nobody's B*tch. With ample creativity, an energetic live show, proven pen skills and an ever-growing base of fans across genres, Shanell is quickly making a game-changing name for herself and a refreshing new mark in music today.

Check out the "So Good" music video below:


Comments