Lil Wayne Reveals Who Perked Him Up In Jail: "To Smile In That Place Is Almost Impossible" [Video]

Grammy-winning rapper Lil Wayne recently reflected on serving a jail sentence in Rikers Island a couple years ago and what one person made him smile during the bid.

The Young Money boss described his time behind bars and said he regretted the consequences which come with carrying a weapon.

"At that point, you're looking for help from anywhere, you're looking for support from anywhere possible," Weezy said in an interview. "So to hear that [retired NFL champion] Brett Favre, that he's praying for me every night, man, you know, that put a smile on my face for a long time and to smile in that place is, is almost impossible. For me, thank God, thank God it was just an experience. And for other people, it's totally different, it's a lot worse. Everyday, it was just me finding out something new about that place, learning something new, staying away from things that I knew I was supposed to stay away from, never ever imagining I'd be there and dealing with the fact that I was. ... Before I leave, I want to say, you mentioned in 2010 I was locked up for a weapon. If there was anything I could do in my life that I could ever change it'd be that. Sandy Hook Elementary, my heart goes out to you." ("Jim Rome on Showtime")

Back in September 2010, Young Money president Mack Maine discussed Favre asking about Weezy's condition.

"He's loving that," Maine said of Wayne's feelings about Favre's decision to play his 20th year in the league. "That gives [Wayne] more incentive to watch this year, because that's his favorite player. Shout-out to Brett! too. Brett reached out, and he made sure I told Wayne that. That was the first thing [Brett] asked when he got back to camp, really. [Vikings tackle] Bryant McKinnie is one of our friends, B-Mac. [Favre] asked B-Mac, 'How you been?' B-Mac answered. And he was like, 'How's Wayne?' That was his second question to B-Mac. Those two are real good friends. He said, 'Let [Wayne] know I been praying for him and send him my love.' So I let Wayne know that. He said, 'You just brightened my spirits up for the rest of the month.' He was real excited." (MTV)

Prior to the New Orleans Saints defeating Favre's Vikings and eventually winning Super Bowl XLIV, Wayne predicted Brett would go all the way.

"I'm rooting for Brett because I'm a diehard," Weezy explained to us early Thursday (January 21). A signed Favre football is one of the prize possessions in Weezy's extensive sports memorabilia collection. Lil Wayne is predicting a Vikings victory against New Orleans because of Minnesota's superior running game compared to a relatively weak Saints team who are not great against the run. "I believe the Vikings will win because of the running attack," Wayne assessed. "The Saints give up about 150 rushing yards a game, and the Vikings have arguably the best running back in the game [Adrian Peterson]." (Now Public)

Wayne is reportedly putting together a book detailing his experience in Rikers Island.

Lil Wayne is offering a literary tour of his prison days. The million-selling rapper has signed with Grand Central Publishing, a division of Hachette Book Group, for the! memoir "! Gone Till November." Hachette announced Thursday that the book will tell of his eight months spent at the Rikers Island complex on a gun possession charge. Scheduled to come out in November, two years after his release, the book will be an "internal monologue," based on diaries he kept while in prison. (The Washington Post)

Check out Lil Wayne's interview:


Comments